.
Giving Back: A Journey of Volunteering and Service
Giving back to society has always been important to me. I believe that we all have something to contribute, regardless of our age or position in life. Giving does not always mean donating money. It can mean giving our time, sharing our knowledge, helping someone in need, or simply doing something useful for the community.
One of the activities closest to my heart is volunteering with the Waterways Watch Society, where I have helped to pick up litter from Singapore’s waterways, including Punggol Waterway, Marina Bay and the Singapore River. Seeing the amount of rubbish collected from our waterways was an eye-opening experience. It reminded me that environmental protection is not only the responsibility of the Government. Every individual and every household has a part to play.
I have also volunteered to deliver food to St Andrew’s Day Care Centre, which serves autistic youths. Such experiences have taught me that giving is not only about what we do for others, but also about what we learn from them. A small act of kindness can make a meaningful difference to another person’s day.
Over the years, I have also participated in volunteer activities involving NEA, NParks and PUB. These experiences have allowed me to contribute to Singapore’s environment and learn more about the work being done to keep our country clean, green and liveable.
Another area of volunteering has been with SASCO, where I have helped distribute pamphlets to households and participated in gardening activities. These may appear to be simple tasks, but community work often depends on people being willing to do the small things that collectively make a difference.
I have also supported fundraising efforts for the GCTEnable Fund under SG Enable, helping to encourage contributions for people who need support. Giving to a worthy cause is one way of building a more caring and inclusive society.
My writing and publishing projects are another form of giving. I am working on a book about climate change, sustainability and what households can do to reduce their environmental impact. My aim is to make the subject practical and easy to understand, so that ordinary families can take action in their own homes. I have also worked on books documenting the history of broadcasting in Singapore, preserving memories and stories for future generations.
Looking ahead, I hope to continue this journey. From around 2027 to 2029, I would like to give sustainability talks at libraries, community clubs and schools. I also hope to help establish a Toastmasters club for autistic youths, giving them opportunities to develop confidence and communication skills.
Finally, I hope to encourage Toastmasters Clubs (TMCs) to do more giving and volunteering within their communities.
My philosophy is simple: we should leave something useful behind when we leave this world. It need not be wealth or fame. It can be cleaner waterways, a greener environment, a helping hand, a book, a lesson shared, or a person whose life has been made a little better.
Giving is not a one-time activity. It is a way of life. And there is always more we can do.
No comments:
Post a Comment