Chapter 3 What my hand and face tell me about my life
When I look at my hands and face today, I sometimes wonder when they started telling stories I never intended to share.
My hands were once smooth and strong. They could work for hours without complaint. They carried books, shook hands, held a pen, turned pages and, perhaps most importantly, got things done. Today, they look different. The skin is thinner, the veins are more prominent, and there are lines and marks that were not there before. My hands have become a kind of personal history book.
Every line seems to have a story behind it. They remind me of the years I spent working, writing, travelling, helping others and simply getting on with life. They have held the hands of people I cared about. They have applauded successes, wiped away tears and pointed the way forward. They have also made mistakes. Hands, after all, are not just tools. They are witnesses.
My face tells an even more obvious story.
The mirror is remarkably honest. It does not care how young I feel inside. It shows the wrinkles around my eyes, the lines on my forehead and the changes in the shape of my face. Once, I might have regarded those lines as signs of ageing. Now I see them differently.
Some wrinkles are probably the result of worrying. Others came from years of smiling and laughing. There are lines caused by concentration, tiredness and perhaps a few sleepless nights. If my face could speak, it might say, "You have been through quite a lot."
There is something strangely comforting about that.
We spend much of our lives trying to hide the evidence of ageing. We use creams, treatments, hair colour and all sorts of tricks to persuade the mirror that we are still younger than we really are. But perhaps we should not be so embarrassed by the evidence.
A wrinkle is not a failure.
It is a receipt.
It says that I have lived long enough to earn it.
My hands and face also remind me that growing old is not simply about losing things. There are things I have gained. Experience. Patience. Perspective. Memories. I have learned that not every argument needs to be won and not every problem needs an immediate solution. I have learned to appreciate ordinary moments that I once took for granted.
When I look at my hands, I see the years of doing.
When I look at my face, I see the years of feeling.
Together, they tell a story that no photograph from my younger days could capture. They show the passage of time, but they also show that I have participated in life rather than merely watched it go by.
Perhaps that is the real meaning of growing old.
The mirror may tell me that I am older.
My hands may confirm it.
But neither tells me that I am finished.
They simply remind me that I have another chapter to write.
No comments:
Post a Comment