Chapter 5
What I Tell My Grandchildren About Growing Old
My dear grandchildren,
One day, you will notice that your grandparents are getting older. You may see more grey hair, more wrinkles and perhaps a slower walk. You may even wonder why we take so long to get up from a chair!
But I want to tell you something about growing old. It is not something to fear. It is simply another stage of life, just as childhood, school and adulthood are stages of yours.
When I was young, I thought growing old was something that happened to other people. I never imagined that one day I would look into a mirror and wonder who that older person was looking back at me. Yet here I am!
Growing old teaches you that time is precious. When you are young, a year seems very long. When you are older, years seem to pass like months. So do not keep saying, “I will do it tomorrow.” If there is something worthwhile you want to do, start today.
Do not be too worried about your appearance. Your face will change. Your hands will change. You may gain a few wrinkles and lose a few hairs. But those wrinkles are not just signs of age. They are records of laughter, worries, hard work, love and experience.
Your hands tell a story too. They may become less smooth, but they have probably held babies, shaken hands, written letters, cooked meals, repaired things and comforted people. Do not be ashamed of the marks of a life well lived.
Growing old also teaches you that possessions are not as important as you once thought. A big house, an expensive car or the latest gadget may give temporary pleasure. But memories of family gatherings, friendships, journeys and simple moments together stay much longer.
So take care of your health, but do not become obsessed with trying to remain young forever. Eat sensibly. Keep moving. Laugh often. Stay curious. Learn something new. And most importantly, keep your friendships alive.
Never think that you are too old to make a difference. Age may slow your body, but it does not have to slow your mind or your heart. You can still teach, encourage, volunteer, create, help others and contribute to your community.
And please remember this: spend time with people you love. One day, you may discover that the most valuable thing you ever gave someone was not money or a present, but your time.
When I tell you about growing old, I am not asking you to feel sorry for me. I am asking you to understand that ageing is a privilege denied to many.
So when my hair turns whiter, my steps become slower and my stories become longer, be patient with me.
I have lived many years to collect those stories.
And perhaps, one day, they will become part of your story too.
No comments:
Post a Comment