Sunday, August 30, 2026

Chapter 9 Fears I have outgrown fears I have gained

 Chapter 9

Fears I Have Outgrown and Fears I Have Gained

Growing old changes more than the colour of our hair or the number of candles on a birthday cake. It changes our fears too. Looking back, I realise that some of the things that once frightened me no longer matter. Other fears have appeared quietly with age. They are different from the fears of my younger years, but perhaps more meaningful.

When I was young, I worried about what people thought of me. I wanted to be successful, respected and accepted. A mistake could occupy my mind for days. I feared failure and worried about disappointing others. Today, I have largely outgrown these fears. I have learned that nobody lives a perfect life. We make mistakes, learn from them and move on. At my age, I am less interested in impressing people and more interested in being useful, kind and true to myself.

I have also outgrown my fear of getting older. When I was younger, old age seemed distant and almost frightening. I imagined it as a period of weakness and dependence. Now that I am travelling through it, I see that ageing is not simply about losing things. It is also about gaining perspective. We become more patient. We learn what is important and what is not. We become less troubled by small disappointments.

Some material fears have also disappeared. I no longer feel the same need to have the newest possessions or to keep up with others. Time has taught me that a peaceful evening, good conversation and the company of family and friends can be worth much more than expensive things.

But growing older has brought new fears.

One of the greatest is the fear of losing people I love. Friends and relatives who once seemed permanently part of my life are no longer here. Each loss reminds me that our time together is limited. I have learned not to take relationships for granted.

I also worry more about becoming a burden to my family. I want to remain independent for as long as possible. I know, however, that ageing may eventually require help. Accepting this possibility is difficult because we spend much of our lives learning to stand on our own feet.

Another fear is that of running out of time. When young, we think we have endless tomorrows. Growing older makes tomorrow feel more precious. There are still books to read, people to meet, places to see and things to contribute. I sometimes wonder whether I have enough time to complete all that I hope to do.

Yet perhaps the greatest lesson of ageing is that fear should not prevent us from living. Some fears disappear because experience teaches us they were never worth carrying. Others remain because they come from love, responsibility and the awareness that life is precious.

I cannot stop growing older. But I can choose how I grow older. I can face my fears with gratitude, humour and courage. And perhaps that is the final freedom of old age: knowing that while I cannot control the passing of time, I can still decide how I spend it.

No comments: