Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Chapter 6 The decades that helped shape me


Chapter 6 The Decades That Helped Shape Me, One by One

When I look back at my life, I realise that I did not become the person I am today in one dramatic moment. I was shaped slowly, decade by decade, by the people I met, the places I lived, the work I did, the mistakes I made and the experiences that stayed with me.

The 1940s – The Beginning

The 1940s were my childhood years, a time when life was simpler but not necessarily easier. Singapore was going through difficult times, especially during the Japanese Occupation. Those early experiences taught my generation the importance of family, discipline and making do with what we had. There was little waste because there was little to waste.

The 1950s – Discovering the World

The 1950s were my teenage years. Singapore was changing rapidly, and so was I. School, friendships and the excitement of a changing society opened my eyes to a much bigger world. I began to understand that education was not only about passing examinations. It was about learning how to think, communicate and find my place in society.

The 1960s – Finding My Direction

The 1960s brought independence and enormous change to Singapore. As a young adult, I was beginning my working life and discovering my interests and ambitions. Broadcasting and communications became an important part of my journey. I learned the value of teamwork, responsibility and doing a job well.

The 1970s – Building a Career

The 1970s were years of hard work and responsibility. Singapore was developing quickly, and there was a strong sense that everyone had a part to play. My career gave me opportunities to meet people from different walks of life. These experiences taught me that success is not measured only by position or money, but also by what we contribute to others.

The 1980s – Responsibility and Service

By the 1980s, life had become more demanding. With greater responsibilities came greater opportunities to serve. I became increasingly involved in public life and began to appreciate the importance of looking beyond myself. Issues such as the environment also began to interest me more deeply.

The 1990s – Giving Back

The 1990s brought another important chapter. Public service gave me a closer understanding of the hopes, worries and aspirations of ordinary Singaporeans. My interest in environmental matters grew stronger. I began to see that development and environmental protection must go hand in hand.

The 2000s – Reflection

The new millennium gave me more time to look back and reflect. Technology was changing the way we lived, communicated and worked. I realised that life was moving faster, but faster was not always better. I began to value relationships, memories and meaningful activities more than possessions.

The 2010s – A New Purpose

As I grew older, retirement did not mean stopping. It meant finding new ways to contribute. Volunteering, environmental activities and community work gave me a sense of purpose. I discovered that giving time can sometimes be more valuable than giving money.

The 2020s – Growing Older, Growing Wiser

Now, as I journey into old age, I see every decade as a chapter in one long story. Some chapters were happy, some difficult, and some I would happily rewrite. But all of them helped shape me.

Growing old, I have learned, is not simply about losing youth. It is about gaining perspective. The years have taught me to appreciate people, cherish memories, accept change and, above all, remain useful.

My journey is still continuing. The best part of growing old may be that I finally have the time to understand the journey I have taken.

No comments: